Scholarships at Greene’s
Greene’s offers a limited number of general academic scholarships for A level study.
Our scholarships are designed to provide a Greene’s education to students who are able to demonstrate enthusiasm, academic potential and a genuine need for financial support.
From time to time, in addition to our general academic scholarships, we offer a competitive scholarship on a specific topic. This year, 2021-2022, the subject of the competitive scholarship is ‘Sustainability’. For details of entering the competitive scholarship on ‘Sustainability’, please follow the link at the bottom of the page, and click on the box marked Competitive scholarship ‘Sustainability’.
The general academic scholarship
In evaluating the general scholarship applications we are most interested in you as a person, and will take a broad approach to considering your application. We would particularly like to know your achievements to date – both academic and non-academic; both at school and outside school.
We will take into account your academic performance, but also your extra-curricula interests and achievements and how you present yourself as a student looking to benefit from a Greene’s education.
In your application, you may wish to highlight your sporting achievements – looking to Greene’s as a flexible study environment where you can continue to excel at your chosen sport. You may have a passion for art or computer programming – looking for more creative guidance and stimulation from Greene’s to pursue your passion. You may be looking for academic excellence – aiming for a place at one of the world’s top universities, or want to succeed in more practical pursuits. Whatever, it might be – we are interested.
The amount of a scholarship award is up to 30% of the total course fee as published on our website. For A levels this is limited to a choice of three of the core A level subjects listed.
About you: Personal statement
As part of your application we ask you to write a Personal Statement of no more than 4,000 characters.
You will need to submit your Personal Statement with your online application for the general academic scholarship. We suggest that you complete this separately and before completing the online application, so that it is ready to upload.
If you think it could help your application, please also send us copies of any significant work that you have produced – either individually or as part of a group. This could be a school project, a piece of research or long essay.
Your Personal Statement should cover the following points:
- Your reasons for applying – write about which aspects of studying at Greene’s you find most appealing. Show that you are ready for the demands of your chosen course by demonstrating your ability to study independently, illustrating your passion, knowledge and experience.
- Your interests and goals – discuss your academic and non-academic interests, university, career and life goals. Consider your short-term aims and long-term ambitions, and show how the two are related.
- Your preparation – address how you feel your academic and extra-curricula achievements to date have prepared you for successful study at Greene’s – bearing in mind the need for independent study to prepare for tutorials.
- Your skillset – you should highlight relevant skills and knowledge that will enable you to make an impact, summarising your abilities in core areas including IT, numeracy, organisation, communication, time management, critical thinking and working in groups. You can also cover any grades, awards, extra readings or writings that you have earned or completed.
- Anything else – let us know anything else that you feels tells us about your interests and passions which demonstrate the contribution you would make as a student at Greene’s.
Application process and timing for the general academic scholarship
- Completion of online application and personal statement
- Evaluation of your application
- Interview – face-to-face or online (this may also include short written or oral tests)
- Consideration by Greene’s – including taking up references from your previous school
- Decision by Greene’s
- Timing: please enquire for latest deadlines.